Monday, March 29, 2010

Hooked on American Idol

OK, I admit it. I’m addicted to American Idol. I’ve been a fan since Season 1 when Kelly Clarkson won the coveted title over the teenie-bop favorite Justin Guarini (how could you not love that hair?!).

Each season during the early rounds, Scott and I pick our favorites – and then try to remember who they were as they proceed into the dreaded Hollywood Week. I’m on pins and needles as the poor contestants are forced to make the loooong walk to the judges to find out if they are going to be on the show as part of the Top 24.

I can’t wait for the Tuesday performances to provide my own critique as I sit on the couch in my pajamas listening to the contestants sing for their lives. And at Wednesday’s elimination, I’m always sure I’ve made the correct pick as to who is going home. I’m usually right, although in 9 seasons I’ve probably been surprised a time or two (can you say ‘Chris Daughtry’?).

It’s fun to see who rises to the occasion and who crumbles under the pressure of performing live in front of millions of viewers. Come on, some of these kids are only 16 years old – wouldn’t you be petrified? It’s always interesting to see who grows week to week and who should stick to karaoke in a local bar.

This season is no different. We’re down to the Top 10, and the group is really split between the ‘how are they not signed yet’ and the ‘they must have a huge family voting for them’. My favorites are Siobhan Magnus and Crystal Bowersox. They are truly unique in their styles and voices, and I think it would make for an awesome finale if these were the final two.

You have to love the judges, too. I remember the first season of Idol being shocked at how cruel Simon was. Now I find myself saying those same things to the television screen! I can even anticipate what some of the comments are going to be: “Dawg, you were pitchy.” “Absolutely, horrendous!” “You can really blow!” And don’t forget, even the harshest of insults can be softened if you start with, “If I’m being totally honest…”

I thought I was going to miss Paula Abdul, but I have to say that I am absolutely loving Ellen DeGeneres as the new judge. She’s honest in her criticisms but not as harsh as Simon. And she’s encouraging without being as loopy as Paula was. And she’s funny! Even when she’s shooting someone down, she manages to make them laugh.

Here’s my take on the Top 10 Contestants:

Siobhan Magnus: Regardless of the outcome of the show, she will be a star. She is so unique and she’s not afraid to show who she really is. Loved Paint it Black!

Crystal Bowersox: Ditto for Crystal. This fellow Ohioan has a brilliant career ahead of her. She belts out Janice Joplin like she singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. She makes it look so easy. She, too, knows who she is and what kind of artist she will be. Even if she doesn’t win the whole thing, I think Simon will have her under contract in no time.

Michael Lynche: Everyone loves Mike. His voice is reminiscent of another “Velvet Teddybear” Ruben Studdard. He can be a little cocky, though. I think he’ll make it to the Top 5.

Lee DeWyze: I think Lee is the dark horse. He has really grown over the past several weeks and is finally coming out of his shell. He has such a distinctive voice and seems so down-to-earth that I think he’ll give the girls a run for their money.

Katie Stevens: It’s time this little girl went back to Connecticut. She reminds me of those little girls who are pushed into pageants by their mothers, and now she’s grown up and doesn’t know what to do. I think she was used to getting a lot of praise for her singing, but on Idol, she’s just not as good as some of the others

Aaron Kelly: Great kid. Great voice. He just needs to grow up a little. I think he’ll stick around for a while because the Tweenies love him, but I don’t think he has what it takes to make it to the finale.

Andrew Garcia: Sorry, Andrew, but unless you’ve been staying up nights coming up with another Straight Up, you’re going home this week. Nice enough voice, but nothing special. Oh, and maybe try wearing contacts.

DiDi Benami: DiDi has a very interesting voice, but I think she’s better suited to lounge singing than a pop recording contract. She really hasn’t done anything wrong. She’s gotten over her nerves. She just doesn’t have IT, whatever IT is that they’re always talking about.

Casey James: Sure he’s easy on the eyes, but he always looks scared to death when he’s performing. He can play guitar, but he just stands there like a deer in the headlights. His looks will take him a couple of more weeks, but then it’s going to be home to Texas for this cowboy.

Tim Urban: Tim seems like a very nice guy – very wholesome – but I don’t think this Christian rocker is the next American Idol. He has a nice enough voice, just not enough to make it much farther in the competition.

That’s my rundown, just my opinion. But remember, all 10 of these kids are going on tour next summer anyway. Regardless of where they finish the competition, at least they know they have a steady gig for a few months and cash coming in - reportedly 6 figures (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2007-03-20-idol-tour_N.htm). Not bad for being unknown just a few months ago.

Can’t wait for tomorrow’s performance show. Enjoy the show!

0 comments:

Post a Comment