Wednesday, March 31, 2010

American Idol Top 10 Performance Night

It was Soul/R&B night on American Idol last night, and Usher was the mentor this week. I think he really gave the contestants good feedback that they could immediately use for their performances – if only more of them would have taken his advice and actually used it!

There were some surprises last night on Idol, namely Siobhan Magnus! She had a really bad night, so I hope she doesn’t get the boot tonight. I don’t know what happened, but she was off-key through the whole song (Into the Fire, Missy Elliott) and just didn’t look comfortable. My fingers are crossed for her!

Casey James did a good job with Hold On (Sam & Dave), but I think the judges were a little too excited over it. Yes, he sang well. Yes, he looked good. But, again, there’s nothing special about him. He could be any guy singing in any band in any bar on any given Saturday night. I’m sure he’s safe this week, though.

Michael Lynche had a really good performance with India Arie’s Ready for Love. I’m not his biggest fan, but he’s smooth. I think putting him into the audience a little helped him connect more.

Didi Benami: What the heck was that?!!?!? What should have been a great song for her (What Becomes of the Broken Hearted) just didn’t work. The judges crushed her. I thought it was boring, monotone and only got a little bit of character toward the end. But by then it was too late. I think she is going to be in trouble tonight on the results show.

Tim Urban: Christian rocker meets lounge lizard??? Tim’s version of Anita Baker’s Sweet Love was anything but sweet. It was so karaoke, almost a joke. But you can’t get this guy down. Even after bashing by the judges, he just smiles and says how much fun he’s having.

Andrew Garcia: I think Andrew really redeemed himself with Chris Brown’s Forever. While he will probably never have a moment like he did in Hollywood Week with Paula Abdul’s Straight Up, this was definitely a close second. And having Simon flirt with his mama probably didn’t hurt his likeability factor either. I think Andrew may have just saved his neck on this one.

Katie Stevens: Yes, Katie can sing, she can even belt it out when she needs to, like with last night’s Chain of Fools (Aretha Franklin). But I couldn’t get past the “Walk Like an Egyptian” head move she kept doing. She looked pissed or slutty or goofy…I’m not sure which, but I didn’t care for it.

Lee DeWyze: Lee sang Treat Her Like a Lady (the Cornelius Bros.) and it was a show stopper! This is the best we’ve ever seen him and certainly the best of the night. I think his confidence was up and it really looked like he was having fun instead of being scared to death! Good job, Lee!

Crystal Bowersox: Crystal is always awesome. She promised a surprise this week and she didn’t disappoint. It was nice to see her without her guitar to hide behind and looking more “girly” for her rendition of Midnight Train to Georgia (Gladys Knight & the Pips). While this certainly wasn’t her absolute best performance – she needs a little more work on the piano, but it was a nice change – I think her vocals are spot on, and she’ll have no trouble sailing through to next week…and the next…and the next.

Aaron Kelly: This kid is so sweet, it’s hard not to like him. However, his version of Ain’t No Sunshine was a little flat. Usher gave him some good advice but I think he must have forgotten it when he got out onstage. That’s OK. He’ll be back next week.

This week, I think Tim and Didi are going to be the bottom 2, but I think Didi is going home.

Check back tomorrow to see how I did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment