Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Writing Gigs a-Plenty

I’ve been honing my writing skills on various topics for several different websites while I try to decide if I want to specialize in a certain area. So far, much of my writing has been pretty self-indulgent, reporting on the weekly minutiae that is American Idol and Dancing with the Stars. (More on those later.)

I’ve been published on at least three sites and have even had one article stolen and posted in its entirety on someone else’s blog. I know imitation is the greatest form of flattery, so maybe I’m just that good!

My first entry into the online world of publishing was through a website called VirtualAssistants.com. I initially responded to a job posting for a newsletter writer and was hired to write a four-part article on Starting Your Own Virtual Assistant Business. Since you need to be a member to receive the newsletter, I have also published this series on my Associated Content (AC) page. I recently submitted another article for VA on how much VAs should charge. That should be in the next newsletter and, again, I’ll link it to my AC page.

My main focus has been on the Associated Content website. I think a lot of you are visiting, because I’m approaching 10,000 page views in just over a month. I’ve written 30 articles ranging from Idol and Dancing updates, to starting a virtual assistant business, to displaying and archiving your kids’ artwork. If you haven’t already visited, here is a link to my content on AC.

I have also sold two pieces to Seed.com, a branch of AOL. One has been published and another is awaiting publication. So far these are short how-to or tip ideas, but I’m also working on a couple of longer articles on dog and cat care.

I’ve had a few resume/cover letter writing gigs. I posted an ad on Craig’s List and thought this would really take off. Apparently, people out of work don’t have any money to pay to get their resume done. Go figure.

I’ve tried to be more active on Facebook, but I can’t seem to get into the whole Farms Friends frenzy that seems to be going on. I’m sorry, but I don’t find trading virtual livestock very entertaining. But that’s just me.

Try as I may to remain tweet-free, I finally signed up for Twitter, mainly to promote my writing and gain viewers (pageviews = money, you know!). So far I have a whopping 4 followers, so if you have a Twitter account and want to follow me, you can find me here. I’m following a bunch of celebrities just to see what goes on on Twitter. Jim Carrey posts like every ½ hour (or at least his assistant does). If anyone knows what #BOING means, please fill me in. I’m not really getting the whole tweet thing, but I’ll try it for a while.

Other sites where you can find me include digg.com, stumbleupon.com. StumbleUpon is pretty cool. If you’re just looking to waste time surfing the net, go to SU, fill out your preferences (sports, movies, whatever) and hit the Stumble button. It randomly generates websites that pertain to your interests. I’ve come across some very interesting things that I would never have found just doing random surfing.

Idol Watch Coming to an End

As we near the season finale of American Idol in two weeks, I find myself torn between being happy that I won’t have to write another series of preview/performance/results articles and being sad that I’ll have to wait several more months for next season to start.

Speaking of Idol, I think it’s really cool that my dad went to see Crystal Bowersox last weekend when she was at the Ottawa County Fairgrounds for her Homecoming Visit. Can’t wait to see if Dad turns up on Idol in the footage tonight!

DWTS Watch Also Ending Soon

Same as with Idol, Dancing with the Stars ends soon, and I’ll be left with no outlet for my ballroom dancing critiques. The show has been great this year, and the talent has been amazing! I hope it’s Evan Lysacek and Nicole Scherzinger battling it out for the mirror ball trophy, but I really want Evan to win.

With my favorite reality shows finishing up, I guess I’m going to have to write more substantive articles.

If you have any ideas for articles I would happy to take them under advisement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment